| (pictures throughout the years) |
I could not be more excited because tomorrow Mike comes home to us. I have not liked this time apart, not one bit. It really has helped me appreciate all the little things he does for me. Like last night, it was super windy and the house was making a lot of noises. I was beyond scared and couldn't fall asleep until past 2AM. I think I might have watched too many Dateline shows in my lifetime.
Since Mike has been gone, I really have taken this time to think about the wonderful qualities he has. I really am so lucky that he married me.
I couldn't help and think back on how we fell in love. Mike and I met in high school. He was actually my older brother's friend from junior high. The summer before my freshman year of high school, my brother and Mike began coaching a local children's basketball team (which my younger brother played on). I walked into the gym and saw Mike from afar and remember telling my mother how handsome he was. My mom gushed about how smart, kind, and talented he was. I never missed a game the whole season. Since Mike was older than me I never really gave it a second though. On top of that, I wasn't allowed to have a boyfriend until I was 16 and that was about a year away.
When school started, I would walk by Mike everyday between my 5th and 6th period. Every time he walked by he would wave or say hello. I got butterflies every time I saw him. About a month into school, Mike would stop and say a few words to me instead of his usually hello. I started counting the minutes until my break between 5th and 6th period would come.
My girlfriend and I went to a basketball game and ended up showing up at the wrong gym. Since we could not drive, Mike offered to give us a lift to the game. I couldn't believe my luck. He drove us to the game and we chatted the whole drive over. I felt a connection to Mike that I had never felt before. Mike and I became really good friends. I was secretly madly in love with him (although it might have only been a secret to me). Whenever I was around him, I felt happy.
Throughout the year, Mike and I always found excuses to hang around one another. After the second time we had hung out, he went home and told his sister he had found the women he was going to marry. At this point, we had never even been alone together. I had no idea of this and probably would have been a little scared if I did. Marriage was the last thing on my mind.
When Mike left for college the next year, we stayed good friends. His school was pretty strict about how they use their free time but he always found time to talk to me. We would talk on the phone a few days a week. He became my best friend. I could tell him everything and spent hours laughing with him.
The day before my 16th birthday, Mike was home from school and took me on my very first date. It was such an amazing day. At the Academy, they only give you about a month off for summer. Since our time was limited we spent our days doing fun things together. I had so much fun spending this time with him.
When Mike had to leave for school, we decided that it would be best if stayed friends. We continued to talk on the phone from time to time. I thought of him as my best friend. Anytime I needed someone, he was there to listen. He always made me feel like the most important person in the world. He is so kind and compassionate.
Many years later, I married my best friend. We have been through so much together. I honestly can't believe he has stuck with me through all these years. I love how I can talk to him about anything and everything. To this day, I have never met a smarter, kinder, more loving, or humble person. I will forever love this man.

3 comments:
YAY! He's almost home!!! So excited for you!
xoxo
Liesl
woodsy-soiree.blogspot.com
What a great love story!! So sweet.:)
xoAmy
www.dreamingincashmere.com
Amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.
Post a Comment