Monday, September 23, 2013

Haiti part 1

this is the girlfriend I went to Haiti with. Her name is Candice &she is amazing. This little girl begged to braid our hairs. She was quite talented. 
the little ones there all wanted to be picked up, all of the time. anytime we would go into a village, they would run to us and have us pick them up. it got hard after a while because it is very hot there. but it was such a special experience. 
this sweet little girl stole my heart. she followed me through out the week and was always in my arms. one day I got pretty sick and was not able to hold her as much as I usually did. I had to put her down when we climbed up a hill. she started bawling and cried the entire way up the hill. i really wanted to take her home with me. 
little bumps all over, a sign of malnutrition. we spent a lot of time in small villages and access to food and water was a very big problem. many of the children didn't have enough food or water. it was hard to see but the joy the have for life despite not having enough is inspiring. 
beautiful children
she found me again. she would constantly  fall asleep in my arms. it is amazing how children can seriously fall asleep anywhere. it was so hot and i was sweating ALOT but she would just snuggle up and pass out
my group. they were wonderful. every single one of them
tange sharing pictures of her life back home
a home that the organization I went with had built
a front gate. each home is given a one bedroom home and a little garden so they can start selling things at the market and making money. one thing i loved about the organization i went with was that they were all about empowering haitian people. they hired local people to build the homes
how they clean dishes. like i mentioned before, water was hard to come by in the village we were in. there was a well a few hundred yards away but it was only refilled twice a week. it really makes you think about all the blessing you have. i mean how lucky are we that we get to have fresh, clean water anytime we want. 

3 comments:

Susannah said...

Wow, that sounds like it was an amazing, life changing trip!

Lovely Muffin said...

This post gave me life. I'm from Haiti myself and I was there last year... everything changed so much and it is so hurtful to see that people have to go through sooo much... Did you help there or was it for vacation? Would love to read more of this. God bless you.

xx

Jenna said...

@xLovelyMuffinx- Thanks for your sweet comment. Haiti is so beautiful and am so glad I got to visit. I went on a mission trip and did a lot of work on the houses. The people in Haiti are so strong. Although they have been through so much, they are so happy and kind. I hope I can go back!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS