After my first race, I realized I had no idea what I was doing. Although I had read many books, none of them answered questions about the little details entailed in what it takes to run a marathon.
1. Wear sunscreen and bring some along if you can- This was my biggest mistake. I had put sunscreen on before running my race but it came off within an hour of starting running. I was so sore the day after my race that it would have been nice not to have to worry about a sunburn as well.
2. Bring Chapstick (preferably some with SPF)- by the second hour of my run, my lips hurt pretty bad. With all the aide stations, the Chapstick wore out very soon. I would suggest bringing Chapstick over sunscreen (if you didn't want to bring both).
3. Don't wear any new clothes- I had actually read this but still didn't follow directions. I was excited because I had ordered a new top and thought it would be perfect for my race. It ended up being a pretty bad mistake for me and wish I had listened. Wear something you know will work for the whole 26 miles.
4. Wear the same shoes during training and marathon- This was actually something someone told me and I didn't follow this one either. I started training in my pretty old NewBalance tennis shoes. Half way through training, I had to order a new pair. At this point I was already up to 15+milers. I switched brands, thinking a fancier shoe would be better. I immediately got some knee problems. I ended up going with the same NewBalance shoes but a model newer. I wish I had started my training in new shoes and run my marathon in the same shoes I started with. Your feet conform to the shoe and it makes things easier. With my new shoes, I ended up losing my toenails and blisters everywhere. I don't think this would have happened if I had stuck with the same pair of shoes.
5. Trim your nails- Make sure you trim your toenails fairly short. I had trimmed my two days before my race and they had gone out by the day of the race. It didn't bother me until I was on mile 20.
6. Take a look at the map of the race and familiarize yourself with it- I didn't do this as all. I had regretted it as soon as I started. I figured I could just follow everyone and be fine. And although I never felt lost, I think it helps mentally. I think that knowing the turns and the landmark to the half-way mark just helps to make you feel on top on things.
7. Don't set a goal time- This was probably the best advice I got. I thought I would be able to finish my marathon in under four hours but didn't set a goal time before a book had advised me against it. Due to some training difficulties, I didn't hit the time I presumed I would reach. In the book, they mentioned that if set a time and don't reach it, the accomplishment of completing a marathon is lost. Just be proud that you finished a marathon and set a goal time for the next race you compete in.

2 comments:
What great tips!!!! I'm sure these will be so helpful for others planning on running a race like this! :-)
Love it all!!!:)
Post a Comment